"The sharp knife of a short life

I've had just enough time..."


- "If I Die Young" The Band Perry


I see Beauty in many things. And like the ghosts that only speak to you if you notice them, they tell me wondrous tales. With my camera and my thoughts, I captured these as faithfully as I can to share with you. And by doing so, they gave me the reasons. And though the thousand reasons may not all be sweet and some indeed bitter; they are still reasons to live. Come to think about it, that is Life, isn't it?

Tuesday 30 April 2013

The Artist Who Paints With A Knife


I've had just enough time...   to learn about Life from the artist who paints with a knife

The street artist I saw in the street of Yangon, Myanmar who painted with what he has 


He paints with what he has
A kitchen knife
And a worn out brush

Sitting cross-legged bent to his task
He has no time for complaining
Of Life and her cards

He smiled when a piece is complete
A moment’s pause to savor it
Then start on the next sheet

The artist who paints with a knife
Has a lot to teach me about Life



He used the knife to create the while lines against the dark patches to create the required shape

That is a worn out wall brush that he is using

He adapted his painting style to the tools that he has

Dashes of the broad brush and fine stroke of the knife and you got a bamboo groove

The only good brush is used to draw more delicate portion of the painting

The whole painting almost done all in just minutes, and it now belongs to me :)
And the memory that came with the painting makes it even more valuable to me


3 comments:


  1. 1000 Reasons
    Walking through the busy street of Yangon, there was so much to see. So many strange and wonderful things even for me who is relatively familiar with the street scenes of Asia. Yangon has been shut off from the rest of the world for so long that time has stood still for it. While it is tragic, it also preserves many old ways of Life. Here, the impoverished street hawkers/artists make do with what they have. I chanced upon this street artist who painted with a kitchen knife and a worn out house brush. The only good brush he reserved for fine lines. You could not help but admire the fortitude and perseverance of men in difficult situations and how they made the most out of Life. I bought a few paintings from this artist – each for only 1 to 2 USD. (Visit my blog to see the sequence of him turning a piece of blank paper into an artwork in minutes).

    ShambLady
    unbelievable, Yangon on the to-do list then! he's good!

    ★ΞSSΞ®®Ξ added this photo to his favorites.

    snowshoe hare(catching up)
    He looks like a wonderful artist.
    Splendid shot !

    娜 娜☂Nana
    Beautiful capture ! God bless him
    Sweet Dream!! San (:

    henrhyde (gill) Been Away Catching Up
    A true artist --

    Onasill
    This is amazing and such talent.

    ReplyDelete

  2. ★ineedathis added this photo to his favorites.
    They are very talented indeed, great shot of him Thou!
    Somehow you always find interesting things, have a wonderful evening.

    ★ΞSSΞ®®Ξ added this photo to his favorites.

    娜 娜☂Nana
    Very delicate ... beautiful painting and work.
    They are all great artists, even if they get very little money.
    you like drawing? :)
    I like drawing, although it is not very good..hee hee!
    But, I still enjoy it!
    ★娜 娜☂Nana added this photo to her favorites.

    Onasill
    Extremely fine detail in his work and well caught Thou. Compliments.

    ★Onasill and marina go added this photo to their favorites.

    tsoilanc1
    Good shot and good details!

    ★Yasmin de light -on and off - Thanku added this photo to her favorites.
    A marvelous display of talent here my friend. He probably uses his knife and brush like an expert swordsman. Thank you for sharing this fascinating story and work with us. : )

    ReplyDelete

  3. ★marina go added this photo to her favorites.

    ho.ge
    very beautiful pictures! Wish him the best!!!!!!!!!!!
    ho.ge added this photo to her favorites.

    Yasmin de light -on and off - Thanku
    Wonderful work of art my friend and produced at such a quick speed and with the minimum resources. He may be poor materially, but clearly, he is very rich as a person. Such talent and resourcefulness does not come so easily to everyone. It's great that you bought some photos to help him along. I don't know what 1 to 2 USD exchanges to make a good enough living. It doesn't sound like much. I hope he really does well with is work and encounters some generous souls on the way that will want to give him more money in line with the quality of his work. Have a great, happy and fruitful day and week my friend. : ))
    ★Yasmin de light -on and off - Thanku added this photo to her favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...