"The sharp knife of a short life

I've had just enough time..."


- "If I Die Young" The Band Perry


I see Beauty in many things. And like the ghosts that only speak to you if you notice them, they tell me wondrous tales. With my camera and my thoughts, I captured these as faithfully as I can to share with you. And by doing so, they gave me the reasons. And though the thousand reasons may not all be sweet and some indeed bitter; they are still reasons to live. Come to think about it, that is Life, isn't it?

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Farewell To My Concubine Part II - The Song of Gaixia (垓下之战)



I've had just enough time to...   lament the suicide of the concubine


Taken of the "Farewell to My Concubine" opera show in Beijing


Xiang Yu, the King of Chu is in a desperate situation. Trapped and surrounded by enemies with superior forces on all sides, he is losing hope for the first time since he took up arms. The "Chu Song from Four Sides" (四面楚歌) employed by their enemies reminded them of home, sapped their remaining spirit and caused defection. But his faithful horse and favourite concubine refused to leave his side. He lamented with this song – 

力拔山兮气盖世。 Once, my unparallel spirit lifted the hills 
时不利兮骓不逝。 But the time is against me and my horse would not 
                                leave me 
骓不逝兮可奈何!    If my horse would not leave me, what can I do? 
虞兮虞兮奈若何!    Oh, my precious Yu, what fate will befall thee?





Lady Yu begged to die by his side but Xiang Yu strongly refused. She tried to lift his spirit by drinking with him and performed the sword dance for him and sang - 

汉兵已略地,     The Han army has invaded our land 
四面楚歌声。  We are surrounded by Chu songs from all sides 
大王义气尽,     My king's spirit is broken 
贱妾何聊生      What reasons have I to live?



This role is traditionally played by a male


She blamed herself for the predicament her king is in and felt responsible for the downfall of the Chu dynasty. When Xiang Yu’s attention was distracted, she committed suicide by slitting her throat further breaking Xiang Yu’s spirit. She was only 16 when the king said farewell to his concubine.


_______

霸王別姬 Farewell My Concubine Fan MV




2 comments:


  1. ★ineedathis added this photo to his favorites.
    Lovely capture! as always thanks for the info dear Thou!

    ★ΞSSΞ®®Ξ and Pagan Eyes added this photo to their favorites.

    Onasill
    Beautifully done...Such a wonderful pleasure. My compliments
    Have a wonderful day Thou
    ★Onasill added this photo to his favorites.

    Prozak2012
    Excelente imagen
    Te invito a que formes parte del:
    Grupo FOLKCLORE

    BerColly
    Excellent!
    Merci pour votre visite et commentaires!
    Thanks for your visit and comments!

    ★Prometheus_BD added this photo to his favorites.
    Magnificent shot with wonderful details.. gorgeous colors!!

    ★-Josh Birchall- added this photo to his favorites.
    great shot

    henrhyde (gill)
    Beautifully presented , Thou - San .

    old tea
    Beautiful capture !!!

    ReplyDelete

  2. A 1000 Reasons
    This role is traditionally played by a man. Same like Shakespearian plays of old, all the actors are male. When the king was distracted, Lady Yu took her life at the tender age of 16 blaming herself for the destruction of the Chu dynasty.

    ★ΞSSΞ®®Ξ and Onasill added this photo to their favorites.

    Onasill
    The colors are stunner with the rich black back ground. Beautiful composition.

    Rajagiri
    Great shot.. Love the colourful costume...

    old tea
    Excellent image !!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...