"The sharp knife of a short life

I've had just enough time..."


- "If I Die Young" The Band Perry


I see Beauty in many things. And like the ghosts that only speak to you if you notice them, they tell me wondrous tales. With my camera and my thoughts, I captured these as faithfully as I can to share with you. And by doing so, they gave me the reasons. And though the thousand reasons may not all be sweet and some indeed bitter; they are still reasons to live. Come to think about it, that is Life, isn't it?

Sunday 29 January 2012

Know A Country By Its Arts.




I've had just enough time to...  witness the change in the Chinese Art Scene.


Taken by surprise in the Shanghai Pudong International Airport.



Contrast the previous painting (in the last post) done during the Mao Tze Dong era with this very large painting that I found in the arrival section of Shanghai Pudong International Airport. I have been in and out of China since the early 80s and what a change I had seen. From padi fields to high rise in a blink of an eye. From an universal grey to the latest French fashion. From a third world to one of the largest economy in the world. The speed and scale were mind-boggling.

Still it surprised me when I saw this painting in clear view just prior to the arrival hall. They will allow this suggestive painting in the airport? My friends from the West may think nothing of it. But most Asians are still conservative when it comes to nudity and suggestive portrayal in Arts. They have no problem if such paintings are displayed in studios and museums but have strong reservation when they are shown in public places in full views of children and their grandparents. And what can be more public than an airport?

China has come a long way in the last twenty years. How far? This tale of two paintings show the quantum leap. 



1 comment:

  1. ★ΞSSΞ®®Ξ added this photo to his favorites.
    great capture and amazing contrast indeed

    A 1000 Reasons
    This large painting greeted me just prior to the arrival hall of Shanghai International Airport. I was surprised and pleased by how far the country has liberalized in their acceptance of Arts. This may have been acceptable in a museum but not in an airport. One of the barometer to judge how far a country has progress is their attitude towards Arts and China has come a long long way in a short time.

    Kathy_9
    Very interesting and a sign of the times. . .

    henrhyde
    Very good capture.
    Lots of interesting information.
    ★henrhyde, brdonovan, and i_still_believe_in_u added this photo to their favorites.

    old tea
    Awesome shot !!!

    ho.ge
    A great development in China, but there is still a lot to do for the freedom of arts and people.
    And yes, it all needs time!
    ★ho.ge added this photo to her favorites.

    enrique1959
    Es una captura fabulosa, saludos y que tengas una buena semana

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...