"The sharp knife of a short life

I've had just enough time..."


- "If I Die Young" The Band Perry


I see Beauty in many things. And like the ghosts that only speak to you if you notice them, they tell me wondrous tales. With my camera and my thoughts, I captured these as faithfully as I can to share with you. And by doing so, they gave me the reasons. And though the thousand reasons may not all be sweet and some indeed bitter; they are still reasons to live. Come to think about it, that is Life, isn't it?

Saturday 24 March 2012

I Walked The Bridge Over River Kwai.




I've had just enough time to...   walk over the River Kwai.


Taken while walking on the Death Railway over River Kwai, Thailand.


When I walked the bridge over River Kwai, 
When I walked over the Railway of Death, 
Did I hear the moans of restless souls 
Fallen on the beds below? 

Did I hear the whispers in the wind 
Carried by the bamboo groves 
Whose roots entwined with their bones 
Enriched by their flesh and blood?






The lush valley hides many a bitter tales 
Of foolish men and their foolish war 
And no matter how they paint it over 
Where is the glory in that? 

If you take a quiet walk 
You may hear a curling scream 
You probably imagined it 
Or maybe you did not.






2 comments:

  1. A 1000 Reasons
    I remembered watching this movie a long long time ago and I can whistle that theme song since then. The memory of the story was still fresh in my mind when I planned a trip down River Kwai. It is one of the places I would like to visit. It is a sobering experience as I walked both over the bridge over River Kwai and the valley of Death.

    Kathy_9
    Great image and now I have the theme song from the movie running through my head!!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bmsluWHZc

    ★ΞSSΞ®®Ξ_FAV and Tulay Emekli added this photo to their favorites.

    Tulay Emekli
    Quite an interesting composition !

    henrhyde
    Beautiful image and a reminder of dark days.

    ana_lee_smith
    Well, you have us all whistling that theme song in our heads now. I think I read very recently that a re-make of that film is in the works currently...so your presentation is timely. The bridge looks rather precarious. Is it still used for rail transportation?
    Thanks for your visit. Your insightful comments are a welcome addition to my posts. Have a good day, Thou-san.

    ★ana_lee_smith added this photo to her favorites.

    GPMTZ
    Great composition.
    This photo was invited and added to the Written Pages group.

    ★i_still_believe_in_u and dodagp added this photo to their favorites.

    dodagp
    Magnificent association of image and film experiences,Thou !!!
    Compelling subject and heavily wooded track giving the sober account of the situation and effortlessly echoing the whistling of the theme song ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 1000 Reasons
    The atrocities as it was narrated by the tape recorder as I walked through the serene lush jungle path in the Valley of Death tugged at my humanity. The sufferings seared into my brain as I heard description of guilty camp doctor playing God sending the least sick soldiers to the rest bed (and maybe saving their lives but condemning another) by the amount of blood in their stool. May there NEVER be another WAR!

    henrhyde
    Such a terrible waste.
    Still happening .
    Tragic.

    ana_lee_smith
    A powerful recounting of your experience for the reader, Thou-san. Gut-wrenching.
    ★ana_lee_smith added this photo to her favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...